We say a big thank you for your support and kindness to us last year. It was a long fruitful year of successful events and partnerships. We appreciate you dearly!
A Review of Last year
• The third edition of the annual Education Convention held last year with the theme “Accelerating National Development through Education” at Landmark Event Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos. Professor Josiah Ajiboye, the Chief Executive of Teacher’s Registration Council of Nigeria, was our keynote speaker. We had Dr. Modupe Adefeso-Olateju, Ms. Funmi Ilori, Prof. Yetunde Ajibade, Mrs Folashade Adefisayo and a host of other speakers at the event.
• Six inspirational teachers and school leaders received the sum of Five Million and Two Hundred Thousand Naira as recipients of The Inspirational Educator Awards (INSEA). INSEA which is aimed at elevating the teaching profession and motivating educators to strive for excellence in their profession held during the Education Convention on May 4th, 2019.
• Another way of giving back to the society was organizing a Train the Trainer event for our INSEA ambassadors. This training was facilitated by our founder, Mrs. Kehinde Nwani, she applauded our ambassadors on the good job they are doing and urged them to keep developing themselves as education is a lifelong process. The INSEA Ambassadors are to cascade the training to other teachers within their sphere of influence.
• MHF organized a training for teachers in public & low-cost private schools titled Arts for Nation Building under the Teacher Professional Development Training with the goal to show them creative ways to teach their students and make their class rooms learning friendly using the arts. The training which was facilitated by the arts department, Meadow Hall School, led by Mr. Alli showed the teachers the dynamism of art using cardboard, paper and glue.
• We are proud to have produced another set of trainees from our Graduate Teacher Trainee Programme (GTTP), which produces the finest educators in the country with a high absorption rate. GTTP set 2020 kicked off this month.
• Our Founder is very passionate about education and thought to herself, “what more can we do?” With over thirteen million out of school children we created a centre to take in children who can’t afford to get an education. We tasked ourselves with providing them access to quality education and ensuring their growth as individuals. About 65 out of school children were registered at the MHF Core Centre situated in Ikorodu, Lagos. These children attend classes daily free of charge. Thanks to our partners and volunteers. Everyone has the right to an education.
Upcoming events are:
Education Convention (April 25th, 2020) – This is an international education platform that provides an opportunity for teachers, parents and other stakeholders to gain fresh perspectives on pertinent educational issues from their interactions with the educational experts. The innovative part of this project is that, asides the annual lecture and panel sessions, the platform provide the participants with pre-selected training sessions, tailored to each target audience’s need and facilitated by top notch and seasoned speakers within the education sector and various industries.
Inspirational Educator Awards (INSEA, April 25th, 2020) – This is an annual award aimed at honouring teachers and school leaders across Nigeria, dedicated to imparting lifelong learning in their students. This prestigious award recognizes, rewards and promotes excellence in teaching and advocacy for the profession. This merit-based award goes through three (3) rigorous screening phases by a crop of experienced national and international captains of industry ranging from education, health, technology sectors etc. Winners of the various award categories are selected, announced and rewarded with their respective cash prizes at the event.
Graduate Teacher Trainee Programme (GTTP) – A 3-month intensive teacher training & development programme, aimed at preparing young passionate educators/graduates for the classroom.
Teacher Professional Development Training (TPDT) – Professional development is significant because education is an ever growing, ever changing field. This means that teachers must be lifelong learners for positive learning outcome to be achieved. We will be holding TPDT across various platforms and locations nationwide.
School Adoption Programme:
• Nursery room revamp – The state of the nursery rooms at Ilasan Nursery and Primary School is currently in urgent need for intervention/ repairs/upgrade. The classrooms (2) which accommodate about 74 pupils require painting, toys/games, mattresses, chairs, tables and other colourful props that can stimulate the learning process of these children. We are working with partners on this intervention.
• Recycle for Education – This is aimed at educating the pupils and teachers of llasan Nursery and Primary School, on the importance of caring for their environment, in celebration of the world environment day 2020 (June)– especially due to the flooding nature of their immediate environment, thus preparing them to be part of the change process; In addition, the project team would engage in practical sessions on teaching them on how to convert collected wastes, to learning/fun or beautification materials that can be used in the classrooms or within the school premises.
• Students’ Leadership Programme – This is a 3-month John Maxwell – leadership coaching for the student leaders at Ilasan Primary School which is aimed at equipping these student leaders with the necessary skills and lessons to be more efficient in their school leadership roles.
• Core Centre – The pilot phase of the project rounded off in December 2019 with over 30 graduands. The second phase of this volunteer driven intervention will commence soon. We look forward to having more partners, volunteers and sponsors.
Again, we say a very big thank you to all our volunteers, partners and sponsors. We are looking forward to having you on board as we continue to expand and impact lives.